Friday, August 12, 2011

Crayon Rewards!!!


Do you ever wonder what to do with all of those broken and tiny crayons that the kids don't want to use anymore? Well, here's an idea.... STAR CRAYONS!!! When a student has gone above and beyond on their project or to help another student I reward them with star crayons!!! I used to buy pencils, erasers, stickers and more until I started making these new crayons, and they are so much more effective!! Kids of any age love these crayons!!

Directions - *do not try without an adult!!!!!




  1. peel off all of the wrappers from the crayons (I have found that students actually like helping with this task)

  2. separate into similar colors (red and orange, blue and green, pink and purple, etc) or you can experiment with your own combinations!! I use paper plates to separate

  3. preheat oven to 350 degrees

  4. break crayons into smaller pieces.

  5. use a silicone baking pan (shown below). I got mine at Jo-Ann fabrics. Do not use a silicone ice cube tray, I tried it and it did not work!!!

  6. fill with the small, broken, and separated crayons

  7. place on a metal backing sheet!!!! this is very important so that you can pull it out of the oven!

  8. place it in the oven for about 12 minutes. Cooking time may vary depending on your oven.

  9. Afterwards, carfully take it out of the oven and let cool

  10. After it has cooled, the crayons should pop out easily!!!

  11. And finally... COLOR!!!!



*In our HOT Arizona summers, I am able to place it outside in the sun and it will melt (sometimes you may have to turn it)


3 comments:

  1. I do this too!! I give out the hearts for birthdays and the stars for great job. Plus in Disney world I got a Mickey shaped mold, I think I will use those for really good effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea. Have a "plastic dish pan" full of old crayons. You know how it is....just can't throw anything away! Now I'm glad I didn't. (how does this work.....don't know how to not be anonymous...tried)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea! I could see many of the kiddos I teach LOVING this idea! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete