Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Where are the students? (Michelangelo)

At first glance, the picture above looks as though it is an empty classroom, However... If you look closely you will see that my students are underneath the table!! You may be wondering WHY? Well, 4th and 5th graders have reached Michelangelo on our timeline! Michelangelo painted the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. We had a long talk about what they thought about his artwork before we began. Most of they students liked it and thought that it was very realistic. Next, I told the students about how he painted it on top of scaffolding on his back for YEARS!! Then, I told them their assignment... We had to create a fall/ Halloween illustration under the tables!!! We used tape to stick the paper to the table and carpet squares on the floor (because we all know that the art room floor can be a glittery mess). We used crayons, instead of paint because I did not want students to get paint in their eyes or on their face. Students really enjoyed this project but were complaining how difficult it was to paint like Michelangelo. It was very difficult for students to draw like him, and some were getting discouraged that their pictures were not turning out how they wanted them to look. I told them that this project was more about the process than the product. I really wanted them to gain an appreciation for Michelangelo and his work. After we were through, I asked the students again what they thought of Michelangelo and his work, and instead of the students saying, "I like it," they all said something about the process, for example, "He must have been really strong!' or " I really appreciate how much work he put into his work!!"






No comments:

Post a Comment